Choose the most suitable answer and write its number in the brackets provided. (12*1=12 marks)
Today is Hui‘s birthday. Her friends are __________ it with her.
A. spoiling B. playing C. celebrating D. remembering
2. Nick’s pet __________ is growing bigger by the day.
A. snail B. terrapin C. fish D. whale
3. Thank you for the _________ present.
A. horrid B. awful C. lovely D. ugly
4. During the blackout， David lit a __________.
A. torchlight B. candle C. paper D. cigarette
5. The lion is a/an __________ animal.
A. fierce B. adorable C. gentle D. friendly
6. The huge monkey _________ from tree to tree playfully.
A. flies B. flips C. swings D. sways
7. The ________ is crossing the busy road.
A. passenger B. victim C. pedestrian D. vehicle
8. Please clean the chalkboard with a _________.
A. handkerchief B. duster C. napkin D. cloth
9. I was so tired that I kept __________.
A. yawning B. grinning C. smiling D. eating
10. The snail is _________ slowly.
A. jogging B. walking C. swimming D. crawling
11. I put ________ on my toothbrush.
A. toothpaste B. flour C. perfume D. cement
12. Please speak __________. I can‘t hear you.
A. softly B. quickly C. loudly D. carelessly
Answer the questions in complete sentences using the words in the brackets. (4*2=8 marks) 13. What is Jasmine doing now? (reading， listening， music) ______________________________________________________________________
14. How did the monster look? (gigantic， three legs) ______________________________________________________________________
15. Why did the boys run to the telephone booth? (ambulance) ______________________________________________________________________
16. What happened when the bell rang? (pupils， returned， classrooms， orderly) ______________________________________________________________________
Underline the correct word in each of the brackets. (14*1=14 marks)
17. Fish are ( over， covers， covered ) with scales.
18. The shoplifter ( who， which， what ) was arrested by the police was a boy from that school.
19. The stray cats are ( look， looks， looking ) for food.
20. His wallet was ( steal， steals， stolen ) by a young girl.
21. We can ( find， finds， found ) seashells on the beach.
22. Henry paid a princely sum ( for， with， on ) the mansion.
23. Ann was taking a bath when the telephone ( ring， rings， rang)。
24. Rambutans ( is， are， am ) hairy fruit.
25. Desmond has ( take， takes， taken ) Helen’s calculator.
26. The speeding motorcyclist was stopped ( by， with， at ) a policeman.
27. Peter and Moses plan to stay ( in， on， at ) the library for one hour.
28. Kenny has ( go， going， gone ) out for lunch.
29. They put ( in， on， out ) the fire before it spread to other houses.
30. He sat ( on， in， onto ) the beach for a long time listening to the waves.
Rearrange the words to form correct sentences and end each sentence with a full-stop. (8*2 = marks)
31. day fine It was and was a the sea calm ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
32. is he has sports My father that for so busy no time ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
33. a hole and in The dog the ground dug buried the bone ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
34. spent whole Janson day the drawing ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
35. go home that They to when decided they saw was overcast the sky ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
36. the time Martha at wonderful a zoo had ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
37. pupils class in there this twenty are ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
38. likes porch her always cat at sit to the ______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________
ANSWERS Primary 2 English Practice 1
1.C 4.B 7.C 10.D
2.B 5.A 8.B 11.A
3.C 6.C 9.A
13. She is reading and listening to the music now.
14. It was gigantic and had three legs.
15. They wanted to call the ambulance.
16. The pupils returned to their classroom in an orderly manner.
31. It was fine day and the sea was calm.
32. My father is so busy that he has no time for sports.
33. The dog dug a hole in the ground and buried the bone.
34. Janson spent the whole day drawing.
35. They decided to go home when they saw that the sky was overcast.
36. Martha had a wonderful time at the zoo.
37. There are twenty pupils in this class.
38. Her cat always likes to sit at the porch.